The small square onesie/shirt block quilt is like our classic block style quilt, but the square size is smaller to accommodate smaller shirts, onesies, and creating patchwork style quilts from non-graphic style shirts and patterned clothing items. Squares are cut to 6-8" squares with final square sizes ranging from 5.5 - 7.5" squares.
For the fleece backed quilts we utilize a simple quilting process called "stitch in the ditch" meaning I machine quilt in straight lines along the border of the shirt squares. For cotton back quilts we can utilize our long-arm quilting machine to perform a meandering stitch or the stitch in the ditch method for quilting. The final step is adding a handmade cotton binding around the outside of the quilt to finish the edges along with offering an extra accent to pull together the quilt.
Number of Shirts/Material Needed
This all depends on how many shirts you have, how big you would like your quilt, and what you would like to use it for. Here is a guide to number of onesies/shirt squares needed and final finished sizes.
- Baby Lovie - 2x2 (4 - 6" squares) ~ 12x12"
- Crib quilt/Lap quilt - 6x9 (54 - 6" squares) ~ 36"x54"
- Throw Blanket - 8x10 (80 - 6" squares) ~ 48x60"
- Large throw blanket - 10x10 (100 - 6" squares) ~ 60"x60"
- Twin bed cover - 8x15" (120 - 6" squares) ~ 54"x90"
Preparing Your Items
- Most items that are machine washable can be used in your quilt. These items should be washed and dried before bringing them to me or shipping them.
- Please do NOT cut your shirts as I have a special tool to cut them to the correct even sizes. If they are items that are damaged or need mended before making into a square, I can do that as well.
- Please make notes if you want more than just the fronts of your shirts used.
- If you have a specific layout request for your shirts, please do share those when the shirts are brought to me otherwise I will layout the shirts with color placement as priority to make the quilt look most pleasing. Pictures of the layout will be sent to you for approval before the quilt is stitched together.
Quilt Production Timeline
Please allow at least 8-10 weeks to complete. If you plan quilts for graduation or Christmas gifts it is best to plan with me a few months before as the quantity of quilts increase and due to the care and time needed to make your quilts perfect it is best to plan far ahead.
- Machine wash in warm or cold water with your regular detergent.
- Do not bleach.
- Tumble dry on low or medium heat. Do not use high heat with fleece backings.
- Make sure the lint trap in your dryer is empty BEFORE drying your quilt
For larger quilts it is recommended that you use front load washers or professionally cleaned at a laundry mat.
A $100 deposit will be required up front with your shirts which may be paid with cash, check or online payment here or sent via PayPal. The pricing listed in here is for a block style quilt with fleece. The remaining balance will be due upon picking up your quilt. Any additional charges from extra stitching, embroidery or heat transferred pictures added to the quilt but will be communicated before the construction of the quilt.
A Personal Note
We care for your items as if they were our own. Our workspace is pet free and smoke free. Our initial consultation is very important for us to understand the stories behind each shirt and memories. In particularly with memorial type quilts, we have lost loved ones ourselves and understand the sensitive nature of these items. Thank you for considering us to create this special keepsake for you.