The standard block quilt backed with cotton is our classic quilt style with sewing the t-shirt squares directly together and then backed with cotton fabric and quilt batting sandwiched in between.
All shirts will be cut into 13"x13" squares and have a finished size of 12"x12" squares. All shirt squares have a light weight stabilizer ironed on the back to them to hold their shape better during the sewing process, but still keeps the shirts soft and pliable.
Cotton backing vs fleece backing is totally based on preference on how you want to use them and how you want them to feel. Fleece is very soft and warm. Cotton is a bit cooler at first touch and smooth but will still provide lots of warmth when cuddling up or using as a bed cover. The cost of non-pill fleece is often less expensive than cotton with batting. Pricing for our Fleece Backed Standard Block Quilt.
Our quilt cotton-backed quilts utilizes a special quilt batting sandwiched in between the t-shirt layer and a solid cotton fabric backing that can withstand washings with larger spaces between stitches verses traditional lofted batting used in quilts that are quilted on a long arm machine.
For quilting, I use a simple quilting process called "stitch in the ditch" meaning I machine quilt in straight lines along the border of the shirt squares or when necessary on larger squares I add additional stitching across the squares for stability. The final step is adding a handmade cotton binding around the outside of the quilt to finish the edges along with offering an extra accent to pull together the quilt.
Number of Shirts Needed
This all depends on how many shirts you have, how big you would like your quilt, and what you would like to use it for. Here is a guide to number of shirt "fronts" needed and final finished sizes.
- Wall Hanging/Small lap quilt - 3x4 =12 shirt fronts (36"x48")
- Lap Quilt - 4x4 = 16 shirt fronts (48"x48")
- Throw blanket quilt - 4x5 = 20 shirt fronts (48"x60")
- Large throw blanket - 5x5 = 25 shirt fronts (60"x60")
- Twin bed cover - 3x6 or 4x6 = 18 or 24 shirt fronts (36"x72" or 48"x72")
- Twin bed comforter - 5x7 =35 shirts (60"x72")
- Full bed cover - 5x6 = 30 shirts (60"x72")
- Full bed comforter/queen bed cover - 7x8 - 56 shirts (72"x96")
- Queen bed comforter - 8x8 - 64 shirts (96"x96")
Preparing Your Items
- Most items that are machine washable can be used in your quilt. These items should be washed and dried before bringing them to me or shipping them.
- Please do NOT cut your shirts as I have a special tool to cut them to the correct even sizes. If they are items that are damaged or need mended before making into a square, I can do that as well .
- Please make notes if you want more than just the fronts of your shirts used.
- If you have a specific layout request for your shirts please do share those when the shirts are brought to me otherwise I will layout the shirts with color placement as priority to make the quilt look most pleasing. Pictures of the layout will be sent to you for approval before the quilt is stitched together.
Quilt Production Timeline
Please allow at least 8-10 weeks to complete. If you plan quilts for graduation or Christmas gifts it is best to plan with me a few months before as the quantity of quilts increase and due to the care and time needed to make your quilts perfect it is best to plan far ahead.
- Machine wash in warm or cold water with your regular detergent.
- Do not bleach.
- Tumble dry on low or medium heat. Do not use high heat with fleece backings.
- Make sure the lint trap in your dryer is empty BEFORE drying your quilt
For larger quilts it is recommended that you use front load washers or professionally cleaned at a laundry mat.
A $100 deposit will be required up front with your shirts which may be paid with cash, check or online payment here or sent via PayPal. The pricing listed in here is for a block style quilt with fleece. The remaining balance will be due upon picking up your quilt. Any additional charges from extra stitching, embroidery or heat transferred pictures added to the quilt but will be communicated before the construction of the quilt.
A Personal Note
I care for your items as if they were my own. My work space is pet free and smoke free. Our initial consultation is very important for me to understand the stories behind each shirt and memories. In particularly with memorial type quilts, I have lost a loved one myself and understand the sensitive nature of these items. Thank you for considering me to create this special keepsake for you.
Very pleased with how our t-shirt quilt turned out. Excellent customer service and quality product! Thank you!